There are lots of things you can do locally to keep you busy:
Eating & Drinking: There is a wealth of restaurants and bars in the area catering for all tastes, occasions and budgets. See above town and village descriptions for some of our favourites.
Golf: There is a beautiful, wooded 18 hole Golf de Guinlet at Eauze, which is the best in the area. There is also a lovely 9 hole challengingcourse at Fleurance and another (hilly) 18 hole course at Auch (superb restaurant), Masseube is another 9 hole course, 15 minutes from Auch. Further afield (about 1 hrs drive) is Mont de Marsan - a fabulous course and not expensive during the week and Golf de Pallanne - a 18 hole course in rolling countryside with the Pyrenees as a backdrop.
Tennis: Courts are available at Bezolles, Gondrin, Eauze, Condom, Valence and Castera Verduzan.
- Leisure lakes: Various inland lakes with many leisure facilities, the nearest is at Castera Verduzan, a 7 hectare lake, in rolling countryside with a sandy beach, canoe-kayak, windsurfing, sailing, supervised swimming, water toboggan, pedalos, dinghies, tennis, surf-bike, archery and volleyball.
- Cycling: The Gers is ideal cycling country with many of the places listed being easily accessible by bicycle. Bike hire available locally
- Walking: More than 600 kms of signposted routes for hikers to discover
- Fishing: Over 40 rivers to discover, the majority being category 2 fishing - carnivorous including pike, pavie and perch and a couple of category 1rivers which include the Salmon Family.
- Horse riding: Les Écuries D'Armangac near Valance-sur-Baïse offer riding lessons or hacks with an English guide, trips into the mountains, gastronomic excursions and much more.
- Skiing: Resorts in the Pyrenees are within 2 hours drive.
- Surfing: World class surf breaks within 2 hours drive at Biarritz and Hossegor.
- Canoeing and Kayaking: At Beaucaire on the river Baïse you can take an escorted trip down to Valance and be returned by minibus. There are canoe/kayak clubs situated in Condom and Mirande
- Boat trips: From Condom, you can travel to Valence each afternoon, with a special lunch excursion on Sundays in the season.
- Wine tasting: Many of the local producers welcome visitors and will both show you around and provide you with tastings of their products. Some recommended domaines nearby are Les Acacias (Bezolles), D'Entras (nr Castera Verduzan), Millet (Eauze), De Bile (Bassoues), D'Embouderiere (Rejaumont) and Plaimont (Plaisance). Sample great wines from some of the best known local wine-growing areas (Tariquet, Buzet, Madiran, St. Mont and Monluc)
- Cathedrals, Museums and Gallleries: Auch and Condom provide the setting for most of the sites within the immediate area. Further afield are Toulouse, Agen and Lourdes.
- Abbaye de Flaran: Flaran is famous within France for its architecture. Art Exhibitions are often held there.
- Jazz at Marciac: During August the Jazz festival takes place, one of the best of its kind in the world with many internationally acclaimed artists (eg: Oscar Peterson, Winton Marsalis) appearing regularly. http://www.jazzinmarciac.com/
- Motor racing at Nogaro: There are several meetings at the circuit every season. The Formula 3 events at Easter and in September are the highlights.
- Water Park: Walibi Aquitaine for a full days entertainment for all ages. Special events and shows in the summer.
- Antiques Brocante: Selection of shops in main towns from quality antiques to bric-a-brac. Fleamarkets in fleurance
- Car bike racing: Circuit Paul Armagnac at Nogaro, monthly events from Feb, Formula 3 events at Easter and Sept
- Horse racing: Closest in Castera-Veduzan, also Auch and Fleurance in March, August and September, a great day out!
> Click here for details of local places to visit
> Click here for details for places to visit as day trips
> Click here for information on local markets